Okay, Tuesday was the last day of Soctoberfest hosted by Lolly. And it is time to post my final sock tally for the month of OCtober. I only frogged one sock but I restarted it in a different pattern, so does that count?
Completed socks – 5 socks
Completed pairs of socks – 2 pairs
Socks on the needles at the beginning of the month – 5 different sock patterns
Socks on the needle at the end of the month – 3 different patterns
including the mate to the oddball sock which is a Christmas present
Lessons learned – there is no such thing as too many socks on the needles so long as you start a new one as soon as you finish one
Okay, here are the details. On the completed socks, the two pairs that were completed were simple st-st with picot hems. The yarn for one was a gift from Pris of Knit Buddies. The other yarn was from the stash from an eBay buy. The oddball sock is from stash yarn as well. After finishing this pattern for Sock-a-pooolza, I decided to make it again using Claudia’sHand Painted sock yarn. My mother saw the finished sock and liked it. So that made it easy and it will be part of her Christmas present. I already have the second sock on the needles but I am just taking a break from the pattern at the moment.
Who do the socks belong to? The red socks are mine. The yarn is Fruit Punch from Sundara courtsey of Priscilla. The orange-y socks are from an eBay purchase and the yarn was supposed to go to Priscilla but it somehow managed to stay in my stash. Bad!!!! But never fear because the socks are going to be mailed to Priscilla.
The last sock in the photo is one that I started right after finishing the orange-y socks so that I have a simple no-thinking-required sock ont he needles. It is Meilenweitt Color Tweed in color number 1001. The colors are nice autumnal colors. And that photo is not accurate since I managed to turn the heel before midnight on Halloween. I have already started the second sock and should be able to turn the heel on that one today. I am want to make sure that both socks end up the same length so I am knitting from both ends of the ball. The pattern is a mock rib pattern that I found in Sensational Knitted Socks. And it is knitting up really fast. I am hoping to have another new pair of socks to wear by the end of next week if not sooner.
One of the other socks that I started last month, actually the frogged one, is a top down sock. I have not down a top down sock since my very first sock years ago. The yarn is a Cherry Tree potluck color in brights. I belong to the STR Rockin’ Socks Club and one of the patterns for September was Central Air and the yarn and the pattern just went together since the colors are nice hot summer colors. I will be working on these socks next. I am curious to see if I can do a regular heel flap again.
I found this test for seeing how addcited you are to knitting over at Musings of a Mad Dragon Knitter. Minnie scored a 71%. I must have a really serious case since here are my results …..
Wow! You scored 91% on the addiction quiz. It’s official. You are a hard core, totally obsessed knit-a-holic. You knit anywhere and everywhere, and when you aren’t knitting you are thinking about knitting. If you find you are losing weight, you may want to pare back a bit to make time for eating and sleeping!
Try it out and see how you score. I bet you will score highter than you imagine. Plus it will help kill a few minutes of the work day.
I saw this over on Jodi of Caffeinated Yarn‘s blog and decided to try it. The results are really strange since my last name is not very common not just in the US but in Spain where my family is from. And yet there are 3 people with my real name. And there are supposedly 660 people with my last name….. And if I type in my brother’s name, the results are 0 yet I know of at least 3 people with his exact name – my father, my brother , and my nephew. So that makes you wonder…..
Yes, I finally finished my scarf for the ISE2 late last night. I put it in the washer to soak this morning and went home at lunch to spin it out and lay it out. Hopefully it will be dry enough tomorrow for me to take a decent photo of it.
Plus I have 1 glove from the Fetching pattern done. Okay, it still needs a thumb but I am going to wait until I have the mate done before doing the thumbs. I have modified the pattern a bit by adding more another repeat of the cables at the wrist and at the top instead of picots. And I am using Manos for my yarn. And yes, these are a Christmas present for someone.
And more later….
Okay, this weekend was busy. I actually had two fire prevention details on Saturday at the same time. Yeah, hard to be in two places at once. But I had someone who volunteered to take one of them. I had the birthday party at the station. And I spent the bulk of the day Sunday in class followed by a few hours of fire prevention and mapping for the fire company. But I still managed to finish a sock!!!!!
As to the wine part, well, I went out Friday evening to pick up a bottle of my favorite wine. And instead of my favorite Australian syrah, I saw this Argentine syrah and I had to get it. Check the label out!!! How can a knitter resist a wine from a vineyard called Funky Llama?? I also bought a bottle of Pinot Grigo (Australian). I tried the Pinot Grigo first and that seemed to help me speed up my knitting. I tried the Funky Llama last night and managed to finish off one sock. This sock took me less than a week to complete. And yes, I have already cast on for the second sock. So I may get lucky and finish a second pair of socks before Soctoberfest is over.
Here are my fruit punch socks knit in Sundara Yarns. The yarn was a gift from Pris of Knit Buddies. I love the colors in this yarn. It is so me. I used a basic toe up pattern based on Wendy‘s toe up pattern that I have modified to fit my tension and my foot. The sock has a picot edging instead of ribbing a la Claudia.
And these are my first completed pair for Socktoberfest that Lolly is hosting. I am working on a second pair right now that should be done by the end of the month. I need to start the second sock tonight. I want to get the toe done so I can knit it in class on Sunday. The first sock has the heel turned and it is just a matter of making the leg as long as I want it. And yes, it will have a picot cuff. The yarn is one that I bought off eBay quite a while ago and the colors are oranges and pinks.
The third sock is the Simply Lovely Lace Socks from the spring issue of IK. This is the third time that I have knitted this pattern. I knitted it the first time for my Sockopoolza socks. I made a second pair using the same yarn and pattern for myself. But I don’t have them. The first pair that I mailed out never made it to their destination (another country) so I sent out the second pair. And yes, they arrived this time. So I am knitting them for a third time. This time I am using Claudia’s Hand Paints in the Pink Cloud color way. And I have a feeling that I am not going to end up with these socks. My mother likes them. So I am thinking easy Christmas present. I can always try this pattern for the fourth time in a different yarn and keep them for myself. And yes, I knit them toe up.
And forgive the photos of red socks against a red couch but it is dark in the evening so I had to make do.
Okay, I have borrowed this from a few people.
1. First Name? Mia and yes that is a nickname.
2. Were you named after anyone? You mean besides the Virgin Mary? No.
3. When did you last cry? After my last ped patient was brave when we carried him to the helo. Always watch small kids around hot liquids.
4. Do you like your handwritting? Yes, when I write neat enough to read it.
5. What is your favorite lunchmeat? Veggies not meat.
6. If you were another person would you be friends with you? Yes.
7. Do you have a journal? Does this count?
8. Do you still have your tonsils? Yes.
9. Would you bungee jump? Hell no. I am not that crazy.
10. What is your favorite cereal? Cinnamon Puffins eaten dry.
11. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Yes. Unless I have to unzip them
12. Do you think you are strong? Not as strong as I should be. But yes.
13. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? When I eat ice cream I like Chunky Monkey from Ben and Jerry’s.
14. Shoe Size? Regular shoes a US size 8; running shoes a US 9, and fire boots are a US 9.
15. Red or Pink? Red
16. Wha tis the least favorite thing about yourself? I can be a pain in the rear.
17. Who do you miss the most? My old meezer Bonita but Mimi is a nice meezer.
18. Do you want everyone to send this back to you? Try it; at least I will know that you are reading this.
19. What color pants, shirt, and shoes are you wearing? Red sweater with some cleavage, jeans, and black ankle boots. Hey, you have cleavage show it with some taste.
20. Last thing you ate? A pear.
21. What are you listening to right now? iTunes and Carly Simon and James Taylor are playing.
22. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Blue or red. Think deep rich saturated hues.
23. Favorite smell? A nice freshly brewed cup of jasmine tea.
24. Who is the last person you talked to on the phone? My friend Billy.
25. The first thing you notice about people you are attracted to? How they carry themselves.
26. Do you like the person you stole This from? Yeah, she is a nice person.
27. Favorite drink? Jasmine tea.
28. Favorite sport? It used to be white water kayaking but I have always loved soccer.
29. Eye color? Brown
30. Hat size? Average
31. Do you wear contacts? No.
32. Favorite food? I like so many but I will be good and say the veggie dim sum from my favorite Chineese place and veggie sushi.
33. Scary movies or happy endings? Happy endings.
35. Summer or winter? Both. Summer because of carnival and winter because I love snow.
36. Hugs or kisses? Both.
37. Favorite dessert? Linda’s fudge cake from the Cheesecake Factory. Seven layers of chocolate and fudge…….
38. Who is most likely to respond? ?!?!
39. Least likely to respond? ?!?!
39. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? ??
40. What books are you reading? I am re-reading Harry Potter Book 7 right now. But I am also reading my books for my class. And I am waiting for Halloween when the next Nora Roberts book comes out.
41. What’s on your mouse pad? I have a trackball so no mouse pad.
42. What did you watch last night on tv? Nothing because I was in class.
43. Favorite sounds? Falling water; a quiet creek in the woods, and the sound of a siren.
44. Rolling Stones or Beatles? Um, U2.
45. The furthest you have been from home? I’m a military brat so that doesn’t count.
46. What’s your special talent? I know of several people who will say trouble. But I like to color outside the lines.
47. Where were you born? You wouldn’t believe me but let’s just say that my passport has to say China so that I can visit China instead of where I was really born. And I don’ look Chinese.
48. Who sent this to you? Stolen from Michelle, Bonne Marie, Julie, and Cara.